- •Patients with myeloproliferative neoplasm (MPN) and atrial fibrillation (AF) have high rates of adverse cardiovascular events.
- •CHA2DS2-VASC and HAS-BLED were poor predictors of thrombotic and bleeding outcomes.
- •Myelofibrosis was associated with the increased risk of composite outcome and all-cause mortality.
- •CHA2DS2-VASC may predict heart failure hospitalizations in patients with MPNs and AF.
- •More research is needed to develop more accurate risk scores in MPNs and AF.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Myeloproliferative neoplasms and thrombosis.Blood. 2013; 122: 2176-2184
- Thrombosis in myeloproliferative neoplasms.Semin Thromb Hemost. 2014; 40: 348-358
- Subclinical and device-detected atrial fibrillation: pondering the knowledge gap: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2019; 140: e944-e963
- Symptom severity is associated with cardiovascular outcome in patients with permanent atrial fibrillation in the RACE II study.Europace. 2014; 16: 1417-1425
- Atrial fibrillation and the risk of myocardial infarction.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 107-114
- Cardiovascular disease in myeloproliferative neoplasms.JACC CardioOncol. 2022; 4: 166-182
- Risk factors for arterial and venous thrombosis in WHO-defined essential thrombocythemia: an international study of 891 patients.Blood. 2011; 117: 5857-5859
- Risk factors for arterial versus venous thrombosis in polycythemia vera: a single center experience in 587 patients.Blood Cancer J. 2017; 7: 662
- Refining clinical risk stratification for predicting stroke and thromboembolism in atrial fibrillation using a novel risk factor-based approach: the euro heart survey on atrial fibrillation.Chest. 2010; 137: 263-272
- Evaluation of risk stratification schemes for ischaemic stroke and bleeding in 182 678 patients with atrial fibrillation: the Swedish atrial fibrillation cohort study.Eur Heart J. 2012; 33: 1500-1510
- CHADS(2), CHA(2)S(2)DS(2)-VASc, and long-term stroke outcome in patients without atrial fibrillation.Neurology. 2013; 80: 1009-1017
- A novel user-friendly score (HAS-BLED) to assess 1-year risk of major bleeding in patients with atrial fibrillation: the euro heart survey.Chest. 2010; 138: 1093-1100
- Incidence and impact of atrial arrhythmias on thrombotic events in MPNs.Ann Hematol. 2018; 97: 101-107
- Risk of thrombosis and hemorrhage in patients with polycythemia vera and atrial fibrillation treated with prophylactic oral anticoagulants.Ann Hematol. 2016; 95: 1903-1904
- The 2016 revision to the World Health Organization classification of myeloid neoplasms and acute leukemia.Blood. 2016; 127: 2391-2405
- Third universal definition of myocardial infarction.Glob Heart. 2012; 7: 275-295
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of the prevalence of thrombosis and bleeding at diagnosis of Philadelphia-negative myeloproliferative neoplasms.BMC Cancer. 2019; 19: 184
- Thrombotic and hemorrhagic events in 2016 World Health Organization-defined Philadelphia-negative myeloproliferative neoplasm.Korean J Intern Med. 2021; 36: 1190-1203
- Thrombosis in primary myelofibrosis: incidence and risk factors.Blood. 2010; 115: 778-782
- A systematic review of antithrombotic treatment of venous thromboembolism in patients with myeloproliferative neoplasms.Blood Adv. 2021; 5: 113-121
- High incidence of bleeding found with direct oral anticoagulant use in myeloproliferative neoplasm patients.Blood. 2021; 138: 3632
- Risk of Wernicke's encephalopathy and cardiac disorders in patients with myeloproliferative neoplasm.Cancer Epidemiol. 2015; 39: 242-249
- The underappreciated risk of thrombosis and bleeding in patients with myelofibrosis: a review.Ann Hematol. 2017; 96: 1595-1604
- Thrombosis in myelofibrosis: prior thrombosis is the only predictive factor and most venous events are provoked.Haematologica. 2010; 95: 1788-1791
- Upregulation of lysyl oxidase and adhesion to collagen of human megakaryocytes and platelets in primary myelofibrosis.Blood. 2017; 130: 829-831
- Lysyl oxidase is associated with increased thrombosis and platelet reactivity.Blood. 2016; 127: 1493-1501
- The expression of lysyl-oxidase gene family members in myeloproliferative neoplasms.Am J Hematol. 2013; 88: 355-358
- Abnormal platelet function in myelofibrosis.Am J Clin Pathol. 1966; 45: 566-573
- Myelofibrosis-associated complications: pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, and effects on outcomes.Int J Gen Med. 2014; 7: 89-101
- Common pathophysiology in cancer, atrial fibrillation, atherosclerosis, and thrombosis.JACC CardioOncol. 2021; 3: 619-634
- Incident thromboembolism and heart failure associated with new-onset atrial fibrillation in cancer patients.Int J Cardiol. 2013; 165: 355-357
- Thromboembolism, mortality, and bleeding in 2,435,541 atrial fibrillation patients with and without cancer: a nationwide cohort study.Cancer. 2021; 127: 2122-2129
- The CHA2DS2VASc score can be used to stratify the prognosis of acute myocardial infarction patients irrespective of presence of atrial fibrillation.J Cardiol. 2015; 65: 121-127
- CHA2DS2-VASc score stratifies mortality risk in heart failure patients aged 75 years and older with and without atrial fibrillation.Aging Clin Exp Res. 2022; 34: 1707-1720