- •Neuromodulation can be observed after ablation of ventricular arrhythmia.
- •The change of sympathetic tone after ablation differs among patients.
- •Elevated post-ablation sympathetic tone indicates an unsuccessful right ventricular outflow tract ablation.
The neuromodulation effect after ventricular arrhythmia (VA) ablation is unclear. The study aimed to investigate skin sympathetic nerve activity (SKNA) changes in patients receiving catheter ablations for idiopathic VA.
Of 43 patients with drug-refractory symptomatic VA receiving ablation, SKNA was continuously recorded for 10 min during resting from electrocardiogram lead I configuration and bipolar electrodes on the right arm 1 day before and 1 day after ablation.
Twenty-two patients with acute procedure success and no recurrence during follow-ups were classified as sustained success group (group 1). Other 21 patients were classified as failed ablation group (group 2). Baseline SKNA showed no significant difference between the two groups. Post-ablation SKNA in group 2 was significantly higher than in group 1. In patients with ablation involved right ventricular outflow tract (RVOT), the post-ablation SKNA was also significantly higher in group 2. In contrast, there was no difference in post-ablation SKNA between groups in patients receiving non-RVOT ablation.
The neuromodulation response after RVOT ablation may correspond to the sympathetic nerve distribution at RVOT. Augmentation of sympathetic activity after VA ablation indicates an unsuccessful VA suppression, especially in patients receiving ablation of RVOT VA.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Cardiology
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Idiopathic ventricular arrhythmias: relevance to the anatomy, diagnosis and treatment.J Cardiol. 2016; 68: 463-471
- Role of the sympathetic nervous system in the genesis of ventricular arrhythmia.Circulation. 1990; 82: I103-I113
- Role of sympathovagal balance in the initiation of idiopathic ventricular tachycardia originating from right ventricular outflow tract.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 1997; 20: 2371-2377
- Heart rate variability before spontaneous episodes of ventricular tachycardia originating from right ventricular outflow tract in patients without organic heart disease.Jpn Circ J. 1998; 62: 745-749
- Sympathovagal balance prior to onset of repetitive monomorphic idiopathic ventricular tachycardia.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2005; 28: S163-S167
- Detection of the stellate and thoracic sympathetic chain ganglia with high-resolution 3D-CISS MR imaging.AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2018; 39: 1550-1554
- Adjunctive interventional techniques when percutaneous catheter ablation for drug refractory ventricular arrhythmias fail: a contemporary review.Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2017; 10e003676
- Effective use of percutaneous stellate ganglion blockade in patients with electrical storm.Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2019; 12e007118
- Changes in autonomic nervous activity after catheter ablation of right ventricular outflow tract tachycardia.Jpn Circ J. 1999; 63: 697-703
- Basic notions of heart rate variability and its clinical applicability.Rev Bras Cir Cardiovasc. 2009; 24: 205-217
- Simultaneous noninvasive recording of skin sympathetic nerve activity and electrocardiogram.Heart Rhythm. 2017; 14: 25-33
- Recording sympathetic nerve activity from the skin.Trends Cardiovasc Med. 2017; 27: 463-472
- Simultaneous noninvasive recording of electrocardiogram and skin sympathetic nerve activity (neuECG).Nat Protoc. 2020; 15: 1853-1877
- The use of a novel signal analysis to identify the origin of idiopathic right ventricular outflow tract ventricular tachycardia during sinus rhythm: simultaneous amplitude frequency electrogram transformation mapping.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0173189
- Characteristics of diurnal ventricular premature complex variation in right ventricular outflow tract arrhythmias after catheter ablation.Medicine. 2017; 96 (Baltimore)e6516
- Long-term follow-up of catheter ablation of ventricular arrhythmias: experiences from a tertiary referral center in Taiwan.Acta Cardiol Sin. 2015; 31: 8-17
- Mechanism, diagnosis, and treatment of outflow tract tachycardia.Nat Rev Cardiol. 2015; 12: 597-608
- Mechanisms of cardiac arrhythmias.J Arrhythm. 2016; 32: 75-81
- Afterdepolarizations and triggered activity.Basic Res Cardiol. 1992; 87: 105-113
- Histological study on the distribution of autonomic nerves in the human heart.Heart Vessels. 2003; 18: 32-39
- Human endocardial innervation and its relationship to the endothelium: an immunohistochemical, histochemical, and quantitative study.Cardiovasc Res. 1994; 28: 1490-1499
- The autonomic neural mechanism of right ventricular outflow tract tachycardia.Auton Neurosci. 2018; 212: 10-16
- Increased local sympathetic nerve activity during pathogenesis of ventricular arrhythmias originating from the right ventricular outflow tract.Med Sci Monit. 2017; 23: 1090-1098
- Localization of optimal ablation site of idiopathic ventricular tachycardia from right and left ventricular outflow tract by body surface ECG.Circulation. 1998; 98: 1525-1533
- Novel strategy of remote magnetic navigation-guided ablation for ventricular arrhythmias from right ventricle outflow tract.Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 17839
- Ablation of idiopathic right ventricular outflow tract tachycardia: current perspectives.J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2005; 16: S52-S58
- Alterations in heart rate following radiofrequency ablation in the treatment of reentrant supraventricular arrhythmias: relation to alterations in autonomic tone.J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 1997; 1: 145-151
- Effect of radiofrequency catheter ablation on autonomic tone in patients with common atrial flutter: difference depending on the site of ablation.J Cardiol. 2000; 36: 103-111
- Autonomic alterations after pulmonary vein isolation in the CIRCA-DOSE (cryoballoon vs irrigated radiofrequency catheter ablation) study.J Am Heart Assoc. 2021; 10e018610
- Premature ventricular contraction coupling interval variability destabilizes cardiac neuronal and electrophysiological control: insights from simultaneous cardioneural mapping.Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2017; : 10
- Molecular mechanisms of sympathetic remodeling and arrhythmias.Circ Arrhythm Electrophysiol. 2016; 9e001359
- Persistent proarrhythmic neural remodeling despite recovery from premature ventricular contraction-induced cardiomyopathy.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 75: 1-13
- Spontaneous activity in C-fibres after partial damage to the saphenous nerve in mice: effects of retigabine.Eur J Pain. 2016; 20: 1335-1345
- Neural ablation and regeneration in pain practice.Korean J Pain. 2016; 29: 3-11
Published online: November 23, 2022
Accepted: October 24, 2022
Received in revised form: October 4, 2022
Received: August 13, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2022 Japanese College of Cardiology. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved. All rights reserved.