- •Baseline N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) levels affected the extent of its decrease by canagliflozin.
- •Decrease in NT-proBNP levels was prominent in patients with a higher left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF).
- •Baseline LVEF confounded those changes after adjusting for baseline NT-proBNP levels.
Abbreviations:DM (diabetes mellitus), HF (heart failure), HFpEF (heart failure with preserved ejection fraction), HFrEF (heart failure with reduced ejectionfraction), LV (left ventricular), LVEF (left ventricular ejection fraction), NT-proBNP (N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide), SGLT2 (sodium-glucose cotransporter 2)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Canagliflozin and cardiovascular and renal events in type 2 diabetes.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 644-657
- Cardiovascular and renal outcomes with empagliflozin in heart failure.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 1413-1424
- Dapagliflozin in patients with heart failure and reduced ejection fraction.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 1995-2008
- Empagliflozin in heart failure with a preserved ejection fraction.N Engl J Med. 2021; 385: 1451-1461
- Efficacy and safety of dapagliflozin in heart failure with reduced ejection fraction according to N-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide: insights from the DAPA-HF Trial.Circ Heart Fail. 2021; 14e008837
- Prognostic importance of NT-proBNP and effect of empagliflozin in the EMPEROR-Reduced Trial.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2021; 78: 1321-1332
- Canagliflozin and heart failure in type 2 diabetes mellitus: results from the CANVAS Program.Circulation. 2018; 138: 458-468
- Prognostic implications of N-terminal pro-B type natriuretic peptide and high-sensitivity cardiac troponin T in EMPEROR-Preserved.JACC Heart Fail. 2022; 10: 512-524
- Effects of canagliflozin on amino-terminal pro-B-type natriuretic peptide: implications for cardiovascular risk reduction.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2020; 76: 2076-2085
- Effect of sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitors for heart failure with preserved ejection fraction: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.Front Cardiovasc Med. 2022; 9875327
- Effects of canagliflozin in patients with type 2 diabetes and chronic heart failure: a randomized trial (CANDLE).ESC Heart Fail. 2020; 7: 1585-1594
- Rationale and design of a randomized trial to test the safety and non-inferiority of canagliflozin in patients with diabetes with chronic heart failure: the CANDLE trial.Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2016; 15: 57
- B-type natriuretic peptide strongly reflects diastolic wall stress in patients with chronic heart failure: comparison between systolic and diastolic heart failure.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006; 47: 742-748
- Wall stress and patterns of hypertrophy in the human left ventricle.J Clin Invest. 1975; 56: 56-64
- Comparison of echocardiographic methods for assessment of left ventricular shortening and wall stress.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1987; 9: 945-951
- Effect of the sodium-glucose cotransporter 2 inhibitor canagliflozin for heart failure with preserved ejection fraction in patients with type 2 diabetes.Circ Rep. 2021; 3: 440-448
- Effect of empagliflozin on left ventricular volumes in patients with type 2 diabetes, or prediabetes, and heart failure with reduced ejection fraction (SUGAR-DM-HF).Circulation. 2021; 143: 516-525