- •The aim was to evaluate the prognostic impact of atrial fibrillation (AF) type on clinical outcomes.
- •Clinical risk profile was worse in the non-paroxysmal AF group.
- •Cardiovascular events were more common in the non-paroxysmal AF group.
- •Even when adjusted for risk factors, AF type was associated with clinical outcomes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- 2020 ESC guidelines for the diagnosis and management of atrial fibrillation developed in collaboration with the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS): the task force for the diagnosis and management of atrial fibrillation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) developed with the special contribution of the European heart rhythm association (EHRA) of the ESC.Eur Heart J. 2021; 42: 373-498
- Atrial fibrillation as risk factor for cardiovascular disease and death in women compared with men: systematic review and meta-analysis of cohort studies.BMJ (Clin Res Ed). 2016; 532h7013
- Atrial fibrillation.N Engl J Med. 2021; 384: 353-361
- Atrial fibrillation: epidemiology, pathophysiology, and clinical outcomes.Circ Res. 2017; 120: 1501-1517
- Impact of atrial fibrillation on the risk of death: the Framingham heart study.Circulation. 1998; 98: 946-952
- Atrial fibrillation as an independent risk factor for stroke: the Framingham study.Stroke. 1991; 22: 983-988
- Incidence and predictors of atrial fibrillation progression.J Am Heart Assoc. 2019; 8e012554
- Validation of clinical classification schemes for predicting stroke: results from the National Registry of atrial fibrillation.JAMA. 2001; 285: 2864-2870
- Use of the CHA(2)DS(2)-VASc and HAS-BLED scores to aid decision making for thromboprophylaxis in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation.Circulation. 2012; 126: 860-865
- Registry of japanese patients with atrial fibrillation focused on anticoagulant therapy in the new era: the RAFFINE registry study design and baseline characteristics.J Cardiol. 2018; 71: 590-596
- Trends of anticoagulant use and outcomes of patients with non-valvular atrial fibrillation: findings from the RAFFINE registry.J Cardiol. 2022; 80: 41-48
- 2014 AHA/ACC/HRS guideline for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation: a report of the american College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on practice guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2014; 64: e1-e76
- Stroke in paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: report from the Stockholm cohort of atrial fibrillation.Eur Heart J. 2010; 31: 967-975
- 'Real-world' management and outcomes of patients with paroxysmal vs. Non-paroxysmal atrial fibrillation in Europe: the EURObservational research programme-atrial fibrillation (EORP-AF) general pilot registry.Europace. 2016; 18: 648-657
- Outcomes of apixaban vs. Warfarin by type and duration of atrial fibrillation: results from the ARISTOTLE trial.Eur Heart J. 2013; 34: 2464-2471
- Higher risk of death and stroke in patients with persistent vs. Paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: results from the ROCKET-AF trial.Eur Heart J. 2015; 36: 288-296
- Stroke and mortality risk in patients with various patterns of atrial fibrillation: results from the ENGAGE AF-TIMI 48 trial (Effective anticoagulation with factor Xa next generation in atrial fibrillation-thrombolysis in myocardial infarction 48).Circ Arrhyth Electrophysiol. 2017; 10e004267
- Age-dependent prognostic impact of paroxysmal versus sustained atrial fibrillation on the incidence of cardiac death and heart failure hospitalization (the fushimi AF Registry).Am J Cardiol. 2019; 124: 1420-1429
- Comparison of the efficacy and safety of new oral anticoagulants with warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation: a meta-analysis of randomised trials.Lancet. 2014; 383: 955-962
- Clinical effectiveness of direct oral anticoagulants vs warfarin in older patients with atrial fibrillation and ischemic stroke: findings from the patient-centered research into outcomes stroke patients prefer and effectiveness research (PROSPER) study.JAMA Neurol. 2019; 76: 1192-1202
- 2019 AHA/ACC/HRS focused update of the 2014 AHA/ACC/HRS guideline for the Management of Patients with Atrial Fibrillation: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on clinical practice guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society in collaboration with the Society of Thoracic Surgeons.Circulation. 2019; 140: e125-e151
- Progression to the persistent form in asymptomatic paroxysmal atrial fibrillation.Circ J. 2014; 78: 1121-1126
- Progression from paroxysmal to sustained atrial fibrillation is associated with increased adverse events.Stroke. 2018; 49: 2301-2308
- Early rhythm-control therapy in patients with atrial fibrillation.N Engl J Med. 2020; 383: 1305-1316